Saturday, January 05, 2008

Literary Roses

What makes a good book? There is an unlimited amount of things that can be taken into account: word choice,descriptions,plot,characters....

For example--There is a book called The Historian that I'm fond of. If you just take into account the plot, then I might accept it as okay if a bit dry. The thing that I really enjoy about it is the descriptions of places. The characters travel all over Europe and England and the author goes to great lengths to make sure you can visualize your surroundings. The words enable you to see a Romanian forest in minute detail, down to the moss on logs.

I know that reading is only limited to your imagination. If I was reading a book lacking descriptions then I could easily create scenery of my own to go with it. Probably with ridiculously unrelated decorations, but that's one of the many wonders that accompany fiction. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to let the story teller guide your attention to the warm tile of Venice and the colors of the sunset. Not for plots sake or any particular purpose. Just to stop and smell the literary roses.

0 comments: