Thursday, March 04, 2010

Now The Day Can See Me

Today I woke up. This has happened every morning for over nineteen years. Almost every morning I am faintly surprised. Again God? I have at least one more day to go before I rest. I brush my teeth and methodically apply my makeup. Tick. Tick. Tick. Clack. Clack. Clack. My life is a steady rhythm. If it breaks I will have to examine all the abstract variables that are right off the path. Waiting, waiting, waiting to become obstacles. Large smears of foundation to cover the emptiness. Blush brushed on for a facsimile of life. Blackest black eye liner carefully curved around. Carefully, thoroughly until no vulnerability shows. A faint purple lipstick so that I can speak. Now the day can see me.

You have seen me with no make-up on.

1 comments:

robin.c.s. said...

This is very much poetry. Beautiful.