Monday, July 06, 2009

Yes, life. I know.

Hullo, life. It's a beautiful day out, and the pigeons are cooing songs about trees on my front porch. I've been avoiding you lately and I apologize, but you have to admit that I've done well at it. Even if the only way to do so was to let my mind glaze over and immerse myself in fantasy.

Yes, life. I know. No, you're right.

So tell me, what's there to do now? I mean, childhood is technically over. I'm deciding what to do with my life, which is disappointing. Once I've made that plan I can never fantasize about being other things and have that silent promise of, "You've time yet."

Life, you are more realistic than what I once thought, and I've had enough of it. Really, what gives you the right to burst my bubbles and use a battering ram on my castles in the air? How dare you. Yes, you! How dare YOU!

P.S. I'll still be a Lady Knight if I want to.

Starr

1 comments:

robin.c.s. said...

Oh, trust me, as long as you're alive, you can fantasize about "being other things", and there's always time to try something new. I totally don't buy into the mentality that you have to know what you want to do with the rest of your life by the time you're in your twenties. "Hey, you've lived less than a quarter of your likely lifespan--you're young and untried and a little bit stupid--now decide how you're going to live the rest of your natural life! HAVE FUN."

By all means, make plans, look ahead, work towards a career--and if that career isn't up to snuff and doesn't make you happy, say bye-bye and try something new. I have a friend of the family who got a degree in computer science, then went to law school and worked as a lawyer for over twenty years, and now he's just graduated from seminary and he's working as a pastor. You just never know.

If being an English major doesn't do it for you, buy an old Mustang, put on some sports gear, and drive around the country saving cats from high branches.

i.e. You totally CAN be a Lady Knight. :)

Your life isn't set in stone until you're dead, and by then it hardly matters.